Wednesday, June 11, 2008

fun with books (a meme)


What if all your favorite authors dropped a sentence into a hat? This is a quick and easy meme but the results can be surprising. Here's how to play:

1. Take five books off your bookshelf.
2. Book #1 -- first sentence
3. Book #2 -- last sentence on page fifty
4. Book #3 -- second sentence on page one hundred
5. Book #4 -- next to the last sentence on page one hundred fifty
6. Book #5 -- final sentence of the book
7. Make the five sentences into a paragraph.

Here's what happened when I tried it on the Eclectics bookshelf:

The cry began as a fluttering rumble, deep in the cat's throat. "I believe we should be off if we are to sail on time." Damien shifted, shielding me with his body, even though no one could see us at this angle, in this light. Something was missing. I didn't smile back, because one never smiles at a crocodile.

Weird how they all flow together to make a strange kind of sense. Hey, I'd read on! ;-)

My five books were:

#1 - Cat Tracks by
#2 - The Perfect Wife by
#3 - Hunter's Moon by
#4 - Married to the Mop by
#5 - Footprints in the Butter by

What's on your bookshelf?